First raised 1597 and known as one of the Petits Vieux regiments it was named after the province of Auvergne in 1635 when it became a permanent regiment in the French army. This was a four battalion regiment and at Minden formed a brigade of its own on the second line of the right wing. Its behaviour in the Seven Years War was generally distinguished; after Minden, along with the Anhalt Brigade, it covered the retreat of the French army.
The same pattern of colours was carried from 1636 to 1791.
And this plate shows the uniform and flags in 1757: