Friday, 24 July 2026

Colours British 2nd Foot or Queen's Own Royal Regiment SYW

Back to the Seven Years War again with another set of British infantry colours inspired by the Napier illustration from a JSAHR article from Vol. 7, No. 28 (April, 1928), p. 119. It's good to depict yet another regiment without a blue regimental colour!

 

Again, there's no point re-inventing the wheel with a long text as there is the detailed Kronoskaf page on the regiment here with uniform details too: https://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=2nd_Foot The regiment had a disappointing experience in the SYW from a wargamer's perspective (which it spent entirely on garrison duty in Ireland) but that should not stop anyone using the regiment in their own armies, I would hope! The green facings and green of the regimental colour are refreshingly different... The ancient lamb badge of the regiment was, at this stage, a very different and simpler beast compared with the later paschal lamb with its flag of St George, found on the regimental colours from the 19th century. The motto Pristinae Virtutis Memor means "Mindful Of Our Ancient Valour" and CARA within the garter is usually taken to represent Queen Caroline, wife of George II.

10 comments:

  1. Another lovely addition and it would be a shame not to use them the green facings and flag would look lovely on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donnie. :-) The green does make the flags stand out, doesn't it?

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. An excellent set of flags.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) I still have a number of these British colours of units with special badges to do...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Hi David,

    Splendid work on these!

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andy. :-) I am quite enjoying doing these...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work as always David and I must admit that the 'moss green' colour does rather take my fancy:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. I do so agree! :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Cracking as always I really need an excuse to use your flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These British flags would certainly work for, say, 1747-1785 or so. (Ordinary non-special badged units with wreaths not so well as the wreaths did change pretty dramatically... :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...