Sunday, 27 September 2026

A Spanish Cavalry Standard Captured 1693 - FromTriomphes Louis XIV

Like the previous infantry flags this standard, captured by the French 1693, is of an unknown unit. I have had to "reimagine" some details as the Triomphes image is rather basic in, for example, the detail of the gold decoration round the edge of the standard. This is a common problem with the depiction of cavalry standards in the Triomphes MS. Where actual examples still exist (e.g. in Vienna and Paris) the embroidery is often of immense detail and complexity compared with the relative absence of detail on depictions in the Triomphes.


 

6 comments:

  1. After all the recent Spanish infantry flags, this one seems very plain in comparison. Even so I'm sure it would stand out on the battlefield and as always, nicely done David:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. :-) Yes, plain it is but true to the sources - and I'm glad to have something less complex for a change!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andy. :-) A few more Spanish flags to come sometime but I'm juggling Dutch and British flags as well at the moment!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Now that is different, I like that one David, nice one to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donnie. :-) Yes, the Spanish cavalry standards we have in the Triomphes do seem very different from the infantry flags!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...