Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Another Spanish Cavalry Standard Captured 1693 - From The Triomphes Louis XIV

The original of this standard in the Triomphes Louis XIV seems to be a very faded pinky-red. Hall's depiction in THE SPANISH ARMIES IN THE WAR OF THE LEAGUE OF AUGSBURG (NINE YEARS WAR 1688-1697) is a stronger reddish-pink and I have also shown the colour much deeper. Inevitably any recreation of these standards is to some extent a reimagining.

Again this is of a unknown regiment and it was captured by the French in 1693, possibly at Neerwinden.





14 comments:

  1. This one's a beauty! Keep 'em coming David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray. :-) Yes, more on the way - although I am currently juggling Dutch and British flags too!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking standard David, one of the prettiest yet from the Spanish collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donnie. :-) As someone said to me on Facebook, it does look more Dutch than Spanish - possibly Walloon influence?

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Very nice indeed

    All the best, Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andy. :-) There are a few more Spanish cavalry standards to do...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. very nice flag David, thanks for sharing.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) Hope you have chance to use them!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. :-) Juggling is the name of this crazy game... ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  6. Just what I was wishing we had. Thank you David. It is just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! More Spanish standards to come soon, I hope. :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  7. Compared to the previous one, this is very ornate and beautifully rendered as always. The raspberry pink works a treat:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) Yes, that red/pink should stand out, I think!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...