Sunday 19 July 2009

Trooper of the Saxon Chevauleger Regiment Rutowski

Known as Leichtes Dragoner Regiment von Rutowski. First raised 1742. Inhaber: GFM Graf Rutowski. Commander: GM von Dyherrn.

Apparently had the more expensive German horses (like the cuirassiers), not the cheaper Polish horses ridden by the other chevaulegers regiments.

This was the only light dragoon or chevauleger regiment captured at Pirna in 1756 and the men were apparently forcibly enlisted in the Prussian dragoon regiment Württemberg, from which, no doubt, as many of them as could do so very sensibly deserted as quickly as possible.


The blank template is identical to that of Graf Brühl (see below).

8 comments:

  1. Sir David red with black trim is one of my favorites, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bill - yes, I like the redcoats with black too. The Württemberg horse grenadiers also wore red with black facings and I plan to do them sometime soon! :-)

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir David, I would like to paint the Wurttwmberg Horse Grenadiers, so I'll wait until you post their images. Best regards...

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favourite Saxon uniforms. Brilliant colour combination Red & Black. Stands out a mile on a wargames table, even in my own 6mm scale games.

    By the way David, thanks for the info concerning Von Bruhl's regt. I'll add it to my uniform database.

    Cheers,
    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Righty ho, Bill - should not be very long, I hope. :-)

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve,

    Yes, it's a splendid uniform, isn't it? Sad that it was Rutowski that was captured at Pirna. I'm very fond of the Saxons and plan to do the heavy cavalry sometime soon, even though most units were captured and forcibly enlisted by the Prussians after the surrender at Pirna.

    Glad to help with Graf Brühl info.; I think it's a pity, though, that those nifty grenadier caps had gone by the SYW. Authenticity can be a pain at times!

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...