Saturday 5 September 2020

Portuguese Infantry Flags of the 18th Century - Batch 1

As there seems to be enough interest in these unusual flags here is the first batch; two flags from the early part of the century but of patterns that were probably carried much later. The upper flag is of an unknown unit and of the general windmill design of Portuguese flags. The lower one belonged to the Armada Tercio early in the century. Note the anchors round the central heraldic device.

What little we know of Portuguese infantry flags of the 18th century is covered in this post on the Kronoskaf site: http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Portuguese_Line_Infantry_Colours



I shall gradually post the rest of the Portuguese flags I have created.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely... already thinking about how I can add some Portuguese to my WSS project because of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Makes me wanna paint up the figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jonathan. :-) I'll post some more tomorrow.

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Greg, and for commissioning them and being happy to see them on the blog here too. Looking forward to seeing them with your troops too!

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Steve. Go on - you know you really want to! (And please do send me pictures or links to pictures when and if you do!)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Ray. Go on and recruit some - Portuguese 18th century troops are what every wargamer is going to need this season... ;-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...