Sunday 3 January 2021

Flags of French Regiment Limousin

 First raised 1622 by Louis XIII. 2 battalions. Took the name of the province of Limosin (Limousin) in 1684.

Ranked 25th in 1756.

Flags carried 1684-1791.



In 1756 Limousin was in the camp of Cherbourg. The regiment served on the coasts of Normandy during the four following campaigns and then in the campaigns in Germany in 1761 and 1762. It was distinguished on the 16th July 1761, along with Piemont Infantry, in the combat of Schedingen, whose happy result was annulled by the check of Villingshausen. At the peace of 1763 Limousin went into garrison in Douai.

And this is the uniform in 1756:



(Again, this is largely from a somewhat pro-French piece from Susane so YMMV! As with Angoumois and Saintonge, the regiment seems to have been far more actively engaged in the late 17th century and then the War of the Spanish Succession than in the SYW. It was initially very busy in the Italian Theatre, including the battle of Turin, and afterwards in Flanders including the battle of  Malplaquet.)


6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jonathan. Glad you like them. I think I have said ad nauseam that I do like the French flags, as my constant posting of yet more proves! :-)

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another very colourful flag, but I find the pattern slightly disconcerting, as the repeat of the colours varies. Still it would look great on the wargames table:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Steve. Yes, it is a bit odd, isn't it? I suspect that sometimes whoever designed the flags just wanted to ring the changes - or possibly whoever it was was trying magic mushrooms, or had eaten ergot... ;-)

    But I agree it would look good on the wargames table!

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that on the battlefield in the wind the flag must have looked very much like those colourful Swiss flags. Great job as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, André. Yes, I agree; in general, I think a French army of the period must have looked tremendously colourful, despite the vast array of grey and white uniforms!

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...