Saturday 1 January 2022

Flags of French Regiment Penthièvre

For this, my first flag posting of 2022, I have returned to my beloved French flags. A chap with a blog who is raising 14 regiments of French infantry (see: https://prometheusinaspic.blogspot.com/2021/12/wss-first-french-unit.html#comment-form) for the WSS, and using my flags, lacked only these flags so I said I'd do them. Luckily for me the accompanying text is fairly short, so an easy way of easing myself into the flags for a new year!

A Happy New Year to everyone.

This regiment was first raised 1684 for the Comte de Toulouse and known as Toulouse Infantry. Became Penthièvre Infantry on the death of the Comte de Toulouse in 1737 in honour of his son the Duc de Penthièvre.

2 battalions Ranked 67th in 1756.

The flags were the same from 1737-1791; but the flags carried by Toulouse Infantry were almost identical. Charrié says the Toulouse flags had aurore rather than feuille morte but I think the difference is notional.


Susane Volume 7 (my translation): In 1754 the regiment took part in the camp of Aimeries sur Sambre and at the beginning of the war was sent to Brittany, where the Duke of Penthièvre was in command. During the whole of the war the regiment defended the coast of Brittany against threatened attacks by the British, and was very distinguished in the battle of Saint Cast, where the British troops, completely beaten, were obliged to re-embark with haste under the fire of our artillery. Major de Vangelas, appointed lieutenant colonel in 1762, and Captain Mons were wounded in that fight. At the peace Penthièvre was sent to La Rochelle and the islands of l'Aunis.

And this was the uniform in 1756:



12 comments:

  1. Thank you very much!

    Happy New Year from a Grateful Chap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a nice and subtle flag with the anchors adding a nice touch. Happy New Year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year David, thank you for another fantastic flag and uniform. I have several battalions of French undercoated ready for painting I was wondering which battalions to paint. So this will be the next French line battalion.


    Stay safe,
    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely flag. Some day I hope to game St Cast…

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger MSFoy said...

    Thank you very much!

    Happy New Year from a Grateful Chap.

    My pleasure! Look forward to seeing them with your troops at some point... :-)

    All the best and a Happy New Year,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Steve! :-) Yes, I agree; don't always need lots of bells and whistles to make a flag attractive. I'll probably do another of the WAS Austrian flags next...

    Happy New Year!

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, Willz. :-) Look forward to seeing them in action with your troops.

    And a Happy New Year to you too.

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Peter! :-) Yes, it would certainly be an interesting game to play. Hope you are able to get round to it! I'll have to check to see which of the St Cast flags I have not yet done...

    I shall be adding a page to the blog as an Index listing all the flags I have on my blog soon but I need to work that out first! It will take a while...

    Happy New Year!

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, David! The anchors on the flag are unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Jon. And to you! :-) Yes, I like the anchor detail - I took the design from the French 1721 MS as probably the most authentic version I know.

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thought that flag looked familiar when I saw it, as I have the Toulouse regiment in my WSS project already.. lovely work...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Steve. It is so very satisfying that many of the French flags cover such a long period of use - as a Yorkshireman I like things to last! ;-)

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...