Tuesday 25 January 2022

French Flags Mini-Project: Flags Carried By Infantry Regiments at St Cast 1758 Number 1: Regiment Brie

As with the Prussian infantry flags, I hope and plan to do all the French infantry flags eventually. The British landing at St Cast in 1758, where the French gave British forces a very bloody nose, caught my attention recently so I have decided to do the remaining French infantry flags from this action. (I have already posted the flags of French infantry regiments Royal des Vaisseaux and Penthièvre which also fought at St Cast.) I shall list the earlier actions and campaigns of these regiments as well as their SYW experiences as they mostly had much more to do in the War of the Spanish Succession and War of the Austrian Succession and sometimes earlier, so these flags will appeal to wargamers depicting earlier French armies.

Brie ranked 87th at the beginning of the SYW and was only one battalion strong.

The flags as shown were carried from 1684-1762.


Brie first raised September 1684 from companies of the regiment of Picardy. In garrison in Calais 1687. Conquest of the Palatinate 1688. Served on the Rhine to 1693. With the Army of Italy from 1694-1696. With the Army of the Meuse in 1697. With the Army of the Rhine at the battle of Friedlingen 1702. At the sieges of Brisach and Landau and the battle of Speyerbach 1703. With the Army of the Alps 1704. At the conquest of Nice 1705. At the siege and battle of Turin 1706. At the defence of Toulon 1707. With the Army of the Rhine from 1708 to 1713. Briefly renamed Comte de la Marche 1726-1727.

With the Army of the Rhine 1733. At the siege of Philipsbourg 1734. At the combat of Klausen in 1735.

With the Army of Bavaria at the relief of Braunau 1742. At the defence of Eggenfeld 1743. Returned to the Rhine and at the battle of Rheinweiler. With the Army of the Alps in 1744; its colonel was severely wounded at the taking of Chateau-Dauphin. At the defence of Asti, where the regiment was taken prisoner, 4th March 1746. Exchanged in June 1747 and reformed on the Seyne, and then moved to Gênes where it served until the peace.

Defended the coast of Brittany during the Seven Years War. At the combat of St Cast in 1758; there its colonel was mortally wounded. Disbanded on the 25th November 1762.

And this was the uniform in 1756, as far as I can tell; there may have been a red collar earlier than 1758, when the État Militaire says it had one.



12 comments:

  1. Great flags beautifully done. And especially enjoy you sharing your research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very handsome flag. This will look great on the girls of battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mark. :-) I do try to put together as many good sources as I can, especially contemporary ones. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts.

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jon. :-) It is always great to see the flags in action.

    I'll be in touch soon about your very kind offer to host a training session on remote gaming; that will be very helpful as I have everything to learn! Thanks again for that.

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fantastic flag and uniform David, thanks for posting.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another lovely flag David and one that is rather restrained compared to most French flags I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Peter. :-) I'll be posting more of the flags of French infantry regiments at St Cast soon; I have the flags and uniforms all done, just the text to do.

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Willz. :-) As I said to Peter (above) there'll be more of the St Cast French regiments' flags soon...

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Steve. :-) Yes, I think the simpler ones often have a restrained elegance about them - but I don't think there are many of the French flags I don't like! ;-)

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had cause to revisit your earlier posting on the flag of Royal Italien this past weekend weekend - I sense my own little regiment will be getting new standards soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah good - that will be great. Look forward to seeing your troops in action with their new flags! :-) Thanks for posting.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...