Wednesday 15 June 2022

Flag of the Lübeck Burgerwehr in the 18th Century: Updated

This is an update, on which I have worked on and off for ages, of a flag template I posted way back in 2008. As a recent theme has been French militia flags I thought I'd post this one of a German city guard unit.



The Hanseatic Towns of Lübeck, Bremen and Hamburg all had foot regiments dressed in Prussian-style uniforms but in red, with white facings and small clothes for Bremen and Lübeck. The uniform had blue cuffs and apparently no lapels for Hamburg. The Bremen grenadiers seem to have had grenadier caps with white metal and brass front plates, those of Lübeck with largely brass plates. Buttons were brass for Hamburg and tin for the other two. I don't know if this flag was actually carried by the Lübeck infantry regiment or a separate burger militia unit as information seems scarce.

These are Lübeck grenadiers of the 18th century by Knötel:


 

And this is a Knötel plate of the uniforms of some of the Hamburg troops in 1755:



14 comments:

  1. Amazing looking flag. Just outstanding work and great history too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Mark. :-) It's a bit of a mystery flag in some ways but will probably prove useful for people wanting an 18th century ImagiNations flag, I think.

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely flag David and really great for ImagiNations too. I love these slightly left field flags etc as they are rather unique, so keep them coming if you can:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. :-) Yes, I like these "oddities" too and keep a look out for them. More soon, hopefully!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Oh, this is a fabulous banner! Great work! I need to find use for this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. :-) I do hope you find a use for it as I am keen to see it in action!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
    2. I think it would be fun to see this flag and a battalion in red Prussian uniforms on the table. Now, how to slip them into an historical battle...

      Delete
    3. Yes - tricky, as you say, though.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. YES!!! Luebeck is one of my favorite places on earth, and I have visited many times. The old city oozes history at every turn. Good choice with this particular flag.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stokes. :-) I'm glad much of historic Luebeck survives despite the hammering it received in WW2.

      All the best,

      Dvaid.

      Delete
  6. What a terrific flag and unit, just calling out to be portrayed on the table top.
    Alan, Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. :-) Yes, it will be great to see it in action on wargames tables at some point!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  7. Yet an other wonderful flag and fantastic uniforms David.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Willz. :-) Look forward to your report on Kenilworth.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...