Friday 5 August 2022

Flags and Uniform of French Fusiliers de la Morlière 1745-1749

First raised 16th October 1745 by Alexandre Magallon de la Morlière as a result of the increasing demand for light troops in the War of the Austrian Succession. Initially 1000 strong, consisting of 700 infantry and 300 dragoons. There were 2 grenadier companies (each 50 strong), 6 fusilier companies (each 100 strong) and 6 dragoon  companies (each 50 men). The infantry formed one battalion, the dragoons 2 squadrons. The dragoons had 2 cannon a la Suédoise.

On December 1st 1746 the strength was increased to 1500 men including 500 dragoons. The extra 500 men included 3 companies of 100 fusiliers each and 4 companies of 50 dragoons each. The corps now consisted of 2 battalions and 4 squadrons.

On September 1st 1748 the corps was reduced to 980 men, viz. 2 companies of grenadiers (50 men each), 7 fusilier companies (80 men each) and 8 dragoon companies (40 dragoons each). On October 10th the corps was further reduced to a total of 640 men and then on December 1st to 340 men.

On August 1st 1749 all three corps, the Grassins, Volontaires de Breton and the Fusiliers de la Morlière, were combined to create the Volontaires de Flandres.



Brigaded with the Arquebusiers de Grassin in the War of the Austrian Succession.

Campaigns and battles:

Conquest of Dutch Flanders 1746
Battle of Lauffeldt 1747
Siege of Maastricht 1748

And this was the fusilier uniform of an officer with its silver lace and hussar-style mirliton (other ranks had the epaulettes and brandenbourgs in the same garance as the cuffs, collar, waistcoat, breeches and turnbacks):


Uniform of fusilier:


Uniform of a dragoon:



12 comments:

  1. Interesting history and terrific flags and uniform info. I am somewhat surprised to see light infantry carrying flags into the field. Another unit to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. :-) Yes, I am too but I do like it when they have recorded flags. This was yet another set of French flags I could not resist (have I mentioned my liking for French flags of the 18th century at all ;-)). By the way, did you receive my email a few days ago? If not I can resend.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jon. Got it and will reply soon. :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. I can only echo Jon's comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. :-) I can't resist these French flags...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, what great looking flags and grest looking uniform too. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. :-) Glad you like them. Yes, more to come soon...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Lovely flags and uniforms David, I have a unit of these that's been sat in the to do box for a few years. These flags will inspire me to finish them.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Willz. :-) Look forward to seeing them in action with your troops! I'm sure both will look great.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Just added a few more painted figures to boost my unit to 24. I will attempt to add photos to show on the next VWC meeting.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! Thanks, Guy. Look forward to seeing them. :-)

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...