Sunday 26 March 2023

Speculative Ordinairfahne of Hungarian Regiments Raised 1741-2

As I have not been able to post anything for two weeks and as it is my 68th birthday today, I thought I had better post something to keep things ticking over here.

Luckily I have a little something that does not require much text. (I have a big backlog of flags waiting for their texts to be written.)

This is my speculative version of the Ordinairfahne of Hungarian regiments raised 1741-2. All we know is that the base colour was red. No other design details are known but it is highly likely that the flags followed what we think of as the classic Austrian  flag design of the reign of Maria Theresa.

S. Summerfield in his Austrian Infantry of the Seven Years War (2nd Edition) lists the following six Hungarian regiments as having been raised in 1741: IR2 Erzherzog Karl; IR31 Haller; IR32 Forgách; IR33 Nicolaus Esterházy; IR37 Josef Esterházy; and IR52 Bethlen. So any (or all) of these could carry this red flag in the WAS.

I must also finish and post the 1741 version of the Leibfahne; I have not yet been able to complete the Madonna figure on the flag to my satisfaction...



12 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Another colorful Hungarian flag. Would all Hungarian regiments have carried this flag or only those raised in 1741-42? And which regiments were those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. :-) No, I think only those raised in 1741-2. I've now added a list of those recorded as raised 1741 in Stephen Summerfield's book on the Austrian infantry SYW.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. First happy birthday David! Secondly it may be specualtive, but that is another cracking flag:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) I will get round to doing the standard Austrian infantry flags of the SYW eventually, as I am now near the end of the Charles VI Austrian WAS flags...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. This one is brilliant David - superbly colourful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. :-) Yes, the Austrian flags do have a special something, don't they?

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Belated Birthday greeting David, thanks for more wonderful flaggy stuff.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) I wish I had more time and energy to post more flags but I do what I can...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful flag, David!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger! :-) Can't beat red to be striking and to stand out!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday !
    And thanks for all the beautiful flags !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hogey! :-) More flags on the way, as always... ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...