Friday 1 December 2023

Totally fictional sheet of Genoese Swiss Infantry Flags 1740s-1750s

My Italian informant Giorgio Briozzo tells me that we do not with any certainty know what flags the Swiss troops in Genoese service carried, which is very unfortunate. Stephen Manley in his booklet on the Flags of the Italian States in the WAS says that the Swiss Colonnella flags had the heraldry of Genoa on both sides and no madonna, as they were Protestant troops. He gives no references for that statement so I do not know how true it is.

So, in the absence of certain evidence, I decided to create some entirely fictional Genoese Swiss flags, just to please myself.  I based them on Swiss flags carried by the troops of Naples and Modena. Here they are; please use or not as you wish! I think they look pretty good myself... :-)



10 comments:

  1. I've no plans to paint up any WSS Genoese Swis units, but looking at those lovely flags makes me want to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. :-) Trying to lure people into raising new armies is one of the names of the game! ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Very nice flags indeed, conjectural or not they look great and I will use them, when I get around to finally continuing my "Italian" project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnie. That's great; look forward to seeing them with your troops at some point! :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic flags David, love the design and colours.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Willz. :-) The Swiss (even fantasy Swiss!) rarely disappoint...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Those are quite stunning, David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. :-) The Neapolitan and Modenese Swiss are to be thanked for that...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) Even at 6mm or 10mm those flags should stand out, like most Swiss flags!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...