Tuesday 5 March 2024

Flags of Denmark in the War of the Spanish Succession: Prince George's Regiment of Foot Battalion Flag

3 battalions strong; each of 6 musketeer companies. There was one grenadier company.

One battalion of Prince George served in Ireland in 1690. One battalion served in Imperial service 1702-1709 and was in theory 6 companies and a total  of 691 men strong. The first and second battalions of Prince George were in the service of Holland and Great Britain in 1701-1714; there were 13 companies (including the grenadier company) with a theoretical strength of 1544 men.

And this was the battalion flag according to Sapherson, The Danish Army 1699-1715:


And this was the uniform in the early part of the WSS:



10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Still mroe Danish flags to do...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Damn! This is another Danish WSS regiment I have in my collection David, but have already "flagged" and like rebasing, I am not at all keen to consider removing the existing flags and replacing them with your excellent versions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity! ;-) I do love seeing my flags in action - but perhaps one day you'll do it. Glad you like them anyway.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) It's not one of the more complicated heraldic flags but it's attractive nonetheless...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray. :-) I know you did a nice version of this flag some time ago too.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work as always David and a flag that will be useful for when I do get around to doing some Ireland or Monmouth's Rebellion games:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) I look forward to seeing them in action with your troops at some point!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...