Saturday 8 June 2024

The '45: Jacobite Flag of either Cameron of Locheil or Cameron of Glendessary

Claimed as a flag of Cameron of Locheil's regiment, this may actually have been a flag of Cameron of Glendessary, according to Stuart Reid. The central panel does have the Cameron arms but the crest is not Locheil's sheaf of arrows; it is an arm and sword rising out of a helm. There is a 1689 reference to "Glendessary's ruddy banner". Locheil's own banner was probably the one I depicted earlier with red and yellow horizontal bars.



6 comments:

  1. Another dandy, David! I am seriously considering expanding my WAS project to include the Jacobite Rebellion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. :-) I'd been sitting on that one for a while (created the first version in early 2023) but I was not entirely happy with it. Made a few tweaks yesterday and posted it at last. Hate to add to your huge hobby workload but it would be good to see the Jacobite flags in use with your troops!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Excellent flag David!
    I really hope you do Jon.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alan! :-) A fair number of the Jacobite flags have good heraldry!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Excellent flag, thanks for sharing.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) I think there are a few more Jacobite flags still to do. I plan to do the flags of Royal Ecossais sometime too...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...