Friday 12 July 2024

Flags of Austrian Infantry Regiment Alt-Starhemberg in the War of the Spanish Succession (and probably before)

Reputedly the oldest regiment in the Austrian army, Alt-Starhemberg was probably first raised in 1642. There is a great deal of detail on the 17th century history of the regiment on the Kronoskaf WSS website.

4 battalions strong in the War of the Spanish Succession. The flags show the insignia of Emperor Leopold 1st, who was Emperor from 1658 and died in 1705, so may well have been carried before 1700 as well as in the WSS.



Service in the WSS:

1701: Sent to the Tyrol for the Invasion of Northern Italy. By mid-June 3 battalions of the regiment were with Prince Eugène's army. 9th July Combat of Carpi where the grenadiers distinguished themselves. 1st September the whole regiment fought well at the battle of Chiari.
1702: 15th August battle of Luzzara
1704: Battle of Crescentino
1705-1706: Still on campaign in Italy
1707: Campaign against Toulon
1708-1712: In Piedmont and Savoy
1713: Defence of Freiburg/Breisgau then moved to the Netherlands where it stayed until 1728

And this was the uniform in 1710:


Uniform and flag details from August Kühn and Robert Hall: Materials On The War of the Spanish Succession 1701-1714: The Imperial Regiments of Foot 1701-1714 Part 21. Historical details from the Kronoskaf WSS website. Note that the uniform details on the Kronoskaf site are totally different and no flag details are given.

13 comments:

  1. Nifty flag! Any chance that this would still be carried in WAS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. Certainly possible, although given the wear and tear I suspect it was mainly the later Charles VI flags that survived into the WAS. Still, I think it could be used without anyone complaining about it! :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, Jon; a slip of the finger so Jon = John! Whoops. Not the first time, I'm afraid... D.

      Delete
  2. Cool flags and uniform details.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first flag I love, the second less so, maybe due to the edge design which just doesn't grab me. If they were the same then real winners there for me as they have the double headed eagle:)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. Yes, I see where you are coming from there; but I'm just a flag making drudge so don't have the freedom an ImagiNations' flag maker has to make it up. Ha! ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. A terrific way to begin the weekend! You're really cranking 'em out of late, David.

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stokes. :-) It does get a bit addictive producing the flags; although I really would like to find some time to work on my own wargame armies so I can actually do some wargaming too!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! Are you going to do any more Austrian flags?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray. :-) Yes, more Austrian flags are already in the pipeline, along with all the other flags I am trying to juggle!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  6. I love your Austrian flags and used some for my WPS-project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, André. :-) That's great. Do you have pictures of them in use with your troops that I can see, please?

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...