Tuesday 2 July 2024

Flags of Two Franconian Circle Infantry Regiments in the War of the Spanish Succession

As with the previous Swabian Circle Infantry Regiment flags I posted,  I have absolutely no information on the operational use of these troops in the War of the Spanish Succession and the little uniform information I have seems fairly confusing, so all I can offer here is this sheet of flags; they are attractive flags, anyway!

 

The Brandenburg Onolzbach battalion flag was captured by the French at Friedlingen in 1702, which is why we know its design. Oddly I cannot find it in the Triomphes Louis XIV MS which I have (as a PDF from a French official source), despite that MS recording some flags captured at Friedlingen. I suspect there may be two different versions of the Triomphes as I have seen for sale a version online that appears to have different flags. As so often in this subject, there are frequently more questions than answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...