Thursday 25 July 2024

Further Generic Standards For French Cavalry With No Known Emblems - Aurore and Ponceau Red

I was looking through the list of French cavalry regiments which served at Warburg 1760 and in the list are two with no known emblems but whose colours are a bit unusual - so Descars Cavalry had standards with aurore as the base colour and Espinchal Cavalry had ponceau red as their base colour. I thought I'd better add them to my list of generic standards so here they are, each in the two different styles I previously posted:

and:



8 comments:

  1. Wow, those are pretty fancy and I could see the first one being used for a guards type unit as it looks so rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) French cavalry standards were usually pretty highly decorated; they clearly thought highly of themselves! (But isn't that true of almost all cavalry throughout history? https://m.psecn.photoshelter.com/img-get2/I0000LEv5mpE01Cg/fit=1000x750/Victorian-Military-Cartoons-Punch-Magazine-1892-12-10-274.jpg ;-))

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Another excellent selection of standards, thanks david.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) Now there are probably enough of the generic French cavalry standards for most eventualities!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray. :-) Not sure what I'll be doing next; I do have a fair number of flags in the stockpile, though.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Lovely David. The ponceau one is crying out to be put into a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Chris. Yes, indeed! :-)

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...