Thursday 29 August 2024

Preview of 18th Century Spanish Cavalry and Dragoon Standards Recreated By Me

As part of a commission this summer I recreated the standards of several Spanish dragoon and cavalry regiments, on the understanding that the commission would allow me to post the flags on my blog sooner rather than later. These standards were recreated by me from verbal descriptions in Spanish and from rather difficult to interpret poor images from an 18th century Spanish manuscript. So, I cannot promise that they are absolutely accurate but I think the versions I have produced go some way towards appearing like the actual flags and also do look rather attractive, though I say so myself. This sheet is a preview of the standards as I still need to spend some time to create the text and uniform plates for them. Even compressed into a relatively low-resolution JPEG the detail still shows rather well.



14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray! :-) Just have to put in the work to do the texts and uniform plates now!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. :-) There's ma hefty dose of "Interpretation" in those flags...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic standards David, thanks for sharing.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) I try to maintain high standards. ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. They look super and very interesting, you don't see too much on Spanish forces so this is a real bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donnie. :-) The material can be rather hard to find and get right but hopefully these are somewhere near the mark...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) I think they should look good on the battlefield.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  6. Very nice, makes me want to raise some Spanish horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Simon. :-) Now that's the spirit!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  7. Lovely flags! So elaborate coats of arms! Well done! For whom is going to build a Spanish army, these little gems are indispensable! Cheers! Dinos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dinos! I think they did turn out quite well. :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...