Monday, 31 August 2026

Colours of the British 18th Foot or Royal Irish SYW

This was a regiment more distinguished in its early history. The motto was received for service at the siege of Namur in 1695. It fought in all the major (and many minor) battles of the War of the Spanish Succession. It had a rather drab SYW (from a wargamer's perspective!) as it spent much of the war in garrison in Ireland. No doubt this was essential duty but it did not allow it to gain any laurels. Milne in his Standards and Colours of the Army points out that the 18th was one of the units that did not gain any battle honours in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars as it served in the West Indies for most of that period, apart from service at the battle of Alexandria in 1801.

I take the view that, as wargamers, unless we slavishly follow the actual events of any period, we are essentially playing at ImagiNations even with authentic regiments and wars. I therefore do not feel that we must only use that units that actually fought in e.g. the Seven Years War but can use any regiment of the period, especially when they have splendid colours like these! Of course, I have a vested interest in saying that as I wish to see all my flags in use...

The regiment did see service in the American War of Independence  at Lexington and Bunker Hill and these colours would certainly be appropriate for that war too.

This is another unit whose colour details I have taken from an article in JSAHR which uses the authoritative Napier material. 

Again no point in re-inventing the wheel so here is the Kronoskaf page with history and uniform details:

https://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=18th_Foot



No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...