Like the previous infantry flags this standard, captured by the French 1693, is of an unknown unit. I have had to "reimagine" some details as the Triomphes image is rather basic in, for example, the detail of the gold decoration round the edge of the standard. This is a common problem with the depiction of cavalry standards in the Triomphes MS. Where actual examples still exist (e.g. in Vienna and Paris) the embroidery is often of immense detail and complexity compared with the relative absence of detail on depictions in the Triomphes.
Sunday, 27 September 2026
A Spanish Cavalry Standard Captured 1693 - FromTriomphes Louis XIV
Posted by
David Morfitt
at
Sunday, September 27, 2026
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment
Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...