Saturday 28 July 2007

SYW Hanoverian Horse Grenadier 1763-style


After many trials and tribulations, here is a Hanoverian Horse Grenadier. It is a slight cheat, as it is in fact the uniform worn from 1763 onwards by the combined Horse Grenadier unit created by the amalgamation of the old guards cavalry units, and is not the early Seven Years War uniform. I finally had to admit defeat on the zigzag pattern on the shabraque of the early uniform, which I simply could not get to look right after much struggle. It is amazing how tricky some of these patterns can be to get right.

There does seem to be some dispute about the uniform worn by the earlier Horse Grenadiers; the contemporary illustration in Niemeyer and Ortenburg depicts a uniform without lace around cuffs, lapels and buttonholes for the early uniform, whereas in Mollo's SYW uniforms book or in e.g. Preben Kannik's "Military Uniforms of the World in Colour" the early uniform is shown with the lace.

Hopefully Jeff of Saxe-Bearstein will now be happy!

5 comments:

  1. Ah, now our Horse Grenadiers will be happy! Thank you, sir.


    -- Jeff of Saxe-Bearstein

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure - although the HG saga has not been entirely entertaining! ;-) Look forward to seeing him in action on your blog.

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's there . . . along with my heavy cavalry.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I've been getting some nice compliments on my Horse Grenadier . .. people seem to like how it looks.

    Thank you for your template!


    -- Jeff of Saxe-Bearstein

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeff,

    Thanks; yes, he does look very good! I'm glad that's so after the trouble he has caused me... ;-)

    Thanks very much for the advertising on your blog comments - it is gratifying when we lowly artisans get some credit. :-)

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...