Tuesday 8 September 2020

Portuguese Infantry Flags of the 18th Century - Batch 3

And here are the final flags of the earlier part of the century - but probably also carried later in the century. Both have the arms of the House of Braganza in the centre:


The last infantry flags, which I shall post soon, will be the version from the SYW as recreated by Kronoskaf and the two I have recreated from the 1759 Tavora execution painting. On closely examining a decent quality digital version of the Tavora painting I have spotted what is almost certainly a Portuguese cavalry standard, and I shall recreate that and post it too.

6 comments:

  1. David,

    This whole series of Portuguese flags has been very interesting. Looking forward to the next installation.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jonathan. :-)

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jim. They do make an interesting change, don't they? No other flags of the period look quite like them, except perhaps some of the Italian states' flags. I shall shortly be posting the 4th batch which includes my interpretation of the cavalry standard from the Tavora family execution painting.

    Cheers,

    David.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...