Wednesday 9 September 2020

Portuguese Infantry Flags of the 18th Century - Batch 4

Here is batch 4 of the Portuguese flags; first the typical SYW flag as recreated by Kronoskaf in the Braganza colours of green and white with the coat of arms in the centre:


The second flag is a Portuguese cavalry standard and is my interpretation of one I spotted being carried by a blue-coated cavalry regiment at the far left of the Tavora execution painting. Part of it is obscured by smoke and that is where I have had to assume the crown on the top of the cartouche. The colour of the outer part of the Braganza coat of arms also appears on the painting to be yellow rather than red, which does not make sense as I have never seen any version of the coat of arms with anything other than a red surround. Kronoskaf suggests that standards probably carried the cipher or coat of arms of their colonel; this one clearly did not, at least on the visible side of the standard. So, despite all the unanswered questions this depiction raises, this is my version of a Portuguese SYW cavalry standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...