Monday 30 May 2022

Willz Harley's French Militia With My New Flag; French Militia Flag Also Posted

Willz Harley posted some shots of his nice French militia regiment on the Fife and Drum Forum yesterday. He did not have a proper militia flag so had used one of my white French colonel's flags. I had planned to do some French militia flags at some point, although, as Pierre Charrié explains in his splendid and comprehensive flag book Drapeaux Et Étendards Du Roi, we know very little about many of them. However, we do have details amongst others of the Milices de Sedans so I created the ordonnance flag yesterday evening and emailed it to Willz. He has now attached it to the standard bearer and sent me some pictures of the colour party; see attached images. At some point I will draw the colonel's flag of the bourgeois Sedan Militia and post it; it is more elaborate than the ordonnance flag.

Here are 3 of Willz's pictures which he said he would be happy for me to post here:

 



 

Willz has shown his militia in standard plain French uniform; we have little information on what many militia units wore and it is likely some wore civilian clothes.

This is his unit with the previous white flag:


Kronoskaf has useful summaries of what we know of the various militia units: http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=French_Army#Militias

And here is the ordonnance flag of the Milices de Sedan for those who would like to use it for their Militia:



22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray :-) The matching colonel's flag looks good too but will take me a while to do, along with all the other flags on which I'm working...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. A wonderful post David, thank you for the praise and display of my figures. The flag is fantastic.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) My pleasure; it's great to see the flags in action with your splendid troops. That's what I make them for, to be used!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Not sure if my last comment got through David.
    Thank you for posting images of my Militia figures I am honoured. Thanks for the fantastic flag.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Willz :-) See my previous comment! ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. A very striking flag David, handy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-) It's a pity we don't know more about French militia flags but at least we know something, enough to create at least a few interesting flags...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. A lovely flag for sure and it certainly looks great with Will's figures:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. :-) Yes, indeed; I love to see them in use with their regiments.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on both French militia and flag! Congrats, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work by both of you. I'm very lucky to have been given a French colour party by Willz which has seen many Imagi-nation battlefields now. Not sure if the flag is one of yours David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. :-) Do you have a close up picture of the French colour party by Willz, please? If so, I could see if the flag is one of mine!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  8. Militia flag looks terrific! I always prefer the under dog unit to the elites. More fun to get a terrific result out of them on the table .
    Alan, Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. :-) It is apity we know so little about French militia flags; the designs of very few have come down to us. Very much the underdogs, I think! Hope to get on with Reichsarmee flags at some point; now theye were definitely the underdogs of the Seven Years War!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  9. A very pretty specimen!

    Kind Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stokes. :-) Yes, fairly simple but elegant, isn't it?

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  10. Ecxellent conversion of Zvezda figures into French infantry and one of the more interesting flags of the French infantry. Great work, David!
    Amtmann B. (I don't know why I can't use my google account here.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, André. :-) I shall do more French militia flags eventually; hard to juggle all the different flags I do. Willz's troops and my flags do go well together...

    All the best,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work on all your flags and standards...
    With this one you can easily create Appelgrehn/Royal Suédois (up to 1760) by leaving only the lily flowers... and with a white background for the colonel flag...

    Philippe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Philippe. :-) Glad you like them. Yes, that's very true about Royal Suedois/Appelgrehn (to 1760); although I did actually create the flag for someone and must get round to posting it eventually! Thanks for constructive comments.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...