Thursday 30 June 2022

French Cavalry Standard - Royal Cavalry (and Royal Étranger and Royal Roussillon Cavalry)

First raised 16th May 1635 by Cardinal Richelieu. Took the title Royal in 1642 and given to the King by the Cardinal in 1643.



Note: Royal Étranger and Royal Roussillon Cavalry carried identical standards, according to Pierre Charrié. Between 1725 and 1762, so did Royal de Carabiniers.

Campaigns and Stations:

1719: In Spain
1727: Richemont
1732: Gray
1733-4: On the Rhine
1741-2: In Bohemia; retreated February 1743 and refitted at Colmar
1744-8: In Flanders
1749: Neuchatel
1750: Avesnes
1751; Rennes
1754: Sedan
1756: Soissons
1757: Three campaigns in Hanover
1761: Incorporates Vogué Cavalry 1st December
1763: Reorganised 19th April at Guise

And this was probably the uniform in 1756:



13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. :-) Three for the price of one is good going too! ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. :-) I confess I do rather like these French standards; still many to go yet...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! That will spur me on to get cavalry finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Thanks. Look forward to seeing it in action with your troops!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. A wonderful flag and uniform, thanks for posting.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Willz. :-) Yet another direction I'm going in; feel quite dizzy at times!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray. :-) It seems to show that cavalry standards can work even though they are pretty small when printed and used...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  6. I can't say enough good things about the work you do, David. I look forward to issuing my troops your flags once they are ready, hopefully early fall.
    Do keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. :-) I look forward to seeing pictures of your troops with my flags. More flags on the way soon...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...