Wednesday 6 September 2023

Flags and uniform of Hanoverian Militia Regiment Celle (von Hauss)

I am just dipping my toes into the somewhat messy world that is Hanoverian flags of the Seven Years War here; all those very different flags, often with complex allegorical images, are a nightmare to create! But the militia carried simpler flags and this is my interpretation of the militia flags from the description in Niemeyer and Ortenburg's work on the Hanoverian Army in the Seven Years War.

They spent the war garrisoning Celle and neighbourhood so there is nothing exciting to relate about their wartime activities - but wargamers can often find useful roles for militia; it is all fantasy based on reality, after all! ;-)

And this was the uniform in 1756:





8 comments:

  1. Militia or garrison units, no problem for me, as if they have a cool flag, then they might get an outing on the table:). Lovely work as always too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. :-) Yes, indeed, and of course in the SYW militia and garrison units were sometimes used in battle out of desperation and shortage of line troops!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. :-) Yes, they make a change from eagles, don't they? ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Roger. :-) I'll have to see how far I am sucked into the complicated world of Hanoverian flags, with so much else to do still... ;-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Very smart both flags and uniform.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...