Sunday 11 February 2024

Flags of Savoy 1693-1704: Flag of Swiss Reding Regiment 1704

This is my last Savoy flag for now; I must return to some flags of the Seven Years War!

Swiss regiment Andorno was assembled in 1694 from six separate Swiss companies and renamed Reding in 1699 after its new colonel. Andorno was eventually two battalions strong, each with 4 companies of about 150 officers and men. Reding's colonel was Johann Franz, chevalier of Reding de Biberegg from the canton of Schweiz. Regiment Reding was three battalions strong during much of the War of the Spanish Succession. The flag as depicted was captured by the French and is shown in the Triomphes Louis XIV.

Kronoskaf in its WSS site suggests a possible battalion flag for this regiment with yellow in place of the white in the corner flame sections but this is highly speculative.


And this was probably the uniform in 1704:



8 comments:

  1. David, this is a fantastic banner! I wonder if anyone would complain if I flagged my WAS Piedmontese with these earlier flags? I bet few would notice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. I rather like it, I must say. :-) No, I would not complain at all if you were to do that - although I would notice (in a positive "great to see them in use" sort of way). ;-) I do still plan later Piedmontese flags but they will be a while yet...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Blimey, that is intricate! I just feel sorry for those that had to sew that pattern;). Excellent work as always:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) I wish we knew more of the people who actually created the flags; they deserve a lot of credit!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. What a great looking flag, it looks kind of psychodelic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ray. It does indeed! :-)

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Stunning flag and uniform, thanks for sharing david.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) It's certainly going to stand out on the battlefield, isn't it?

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...