Tuesday 30 April 2024

Flags of Cologne in the War of the Spanish Succession - Infantry Flags 1

A nasty bout of flu from which I am just now recovering has stopped me posting for much of April; here are some infantry flags of Cologne in the WSS to keep things ticking over.

Josef Clemens, Elector of Cologne, was the brother of the Bavarian Elector Max Emmanuel. He was also an ally of the French and made a treaty of subsidy with the French in 1701 to raise troops to fight with them.

These flags are of unknown Cologne regiments; the similarity of the upper two suggests they may be from the same regiment although they were captured at different times.



10 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the flu, but glad you are over it, fingers crossed. Two lovely sets of flags, with the first ones being my favourites, as I love the simplicity of the chequerboard design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve. :-) The flu's dragging on rather (I'm still very tired) but slowly improving. Glad you like the flags. I have a few more Cologne flags to post including 2 cavalry standards. The next two infantry flags are even more checkerboardy!

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to see that you have been ill, David. Great looking flag. Is there a connection to the Cologne flag and the Bavarian flag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jon. :-) Yes, there was a strong dynastic connection between Cologne and Bavaria. The alliance with France sprang out of that too.

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  3. Cheers David for more beautiful flags.


    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Willz. :-) More to come soon when I find the energy...

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete
  4. Hi David
    Very nice flags. Do you have a source for WSS Cologne flags? As far as I know the upper right flag ist on the "Glory of the Confederate Arms" engraving
    https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1971-02-33-65-1
    identified as Bavarian, some sources say, that´s a company flag of the Reg. Maffei.
    Greetz
    Josef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josef. I have lost track of my sources from when I first did the flags back in 2012. You may well be right about the chequered flag with orb, although as far as I know Maffei had different flags, like this: https://wssbavarians.blogspot.com/2018/08/

      All the best,

      David.

      Delete

Saturday 6th June 2020 I've decided to allow comments from Anonymous Users but I'll still be moderating posts, as I'm sure the spam will probably flood in now! We'll see...